So I was noticing the other day that my dish washing sponge had developed a certain… musty odor… to it. I haven’t had it that long, but I have done quite a bit of dishes with it lately. When I picked it up and took a whiff, I knew it was either time to toss it in the trash or sell the odor it for its possible hallucinogenic qualities. Then it dawned on me, I had read an article awhile back that microwaving a kitchen sponge would kill germs living in the sponge. Maybe, I thought, nuking my sponge would also get rid of the aroma that was starting to make me feel a little queasy.
So here is where the story takes a dreaded turn. I place my sponge in the microwave and begin to set it for the suggested two minute cook time, which the previously mentioned article said would sufficiently kill the germs in my sponge. Then I paused and thought to myself, if two
minutes will kill the germ, perhaps a little longer nuking will make the thing practically new again!!
Yeah, I’m really brilliant like that…So, I set my microwave for a nice sounding amount of time… five minutes.
I stuck the sponge on the cooking plate… closed the door and hit start.
As I usually do when I’m microwaving something, or cooking anything anywhere for that matter, I got distracted from the task at hand. I wandered away and completely forgot about my little sponge slowly going in a circular motion, getting de-germed in the microwave. This probably would have stayed the case until the end of the microwaving cycle… if it had not been for that … stench… that quickly filled my apartment.
The smell hit me in the face like a ninja dropping from a tree right on my head. Something was burning, and damn did it stink to high heaven. That’s when my brain put two and two together…. OH SHIT… I ran to the microwave … peaked inside and saw nothing but a large plume of smoke. I shut off the cooking cycle, opened the door, and received an overwhelming waft of burned sponge stench. I could barely breathe as the toxic cloud surrounded my head and quickly filled my kitchen. I very surprised my smoke alarm didn’t go off… but I reached my front door in time to let in some fresh air.
The sponge was cooked… to say the least. If I had let it go any longer I’m sure it would caught on fire before I got to it…. luckily it wasn’t.
So, from me to you, here’s a word of advice…
When your sponge starts a stinkin… let your common sense… not your wallet do the thinkin… drive to the store and buy a new sponge. I don’t care how good a microwave kills germs… I’ll never try that dumb experiment again!